WELCOME UNICORN WARRIORS to Challenge #3
So far we’ve:
- Loved on our Hormones
- Counted our Blessings with Gratitude
- Detox’ed Harmful Toxins
Now it’s time to start healing our Gut lining to resolve the etiology (root cause) of most all disease today with this fermented food rich recipe! Get ready to try something MIND BLOWINGLY new. Open your mind, open your heart, and open your mouth!
This is such a basic, simple, yet astonishingly fulfilling soup. As the colder months have come upon us, we often find ourselves searching for warm liquids and softer, cooked vegetables to sustain us through the winter. While we are often presented with heavy, foods, we find that these foods can zap our energy stores and force us into food comas. The temptation is always counter intuitive because, in the end, the extra pounds put extra stress on our bodies. Sometimes all we need is something easy to chew and even easier to digest. Macrobiotic in origin, this recipe will help cleanse and heal your gut while you you are taking the steps to stabilize your hormones.
Butternut squash packs in fiber, potassium and vitamin B-6. It is great for bone health, reduces inflammation, boosts immune function and aids in weight loss.
High in (take a deep breath) vitamin C, vitamin K, vitamin C, B6, manganese, dietary fiber, potassium, vitamin B1, folate, (and another one) choline, phosphorus, vitamin B2, magnesium, calcium, selenium, iron, pantothenic acid, protein AND niacin, miraculous cabbage is known for treating skin disorders, constipation, headaches, heart disease and a whole host of other ailments. It is widely used as a detoxifier, for anti aging and it helps prevent cancer!
Don’t let the short ingredient list fool you– this broth is nothing short of greatness!
- About 6 qt Filtered Water
- 1 onion, sliced
- 5 carrots
- Butternut squash, peeled and chopped into 1 inch cubes
- Half head of cabbage, sliced
- ¼ tsp pink himalayan sea salt, to taste
OPTIONAL but adds BONUS gut health and sex appeal to this recipe:
- 1 strip (yeah baby, I said strip!) of wakame or kombu, cut up into small pieces
- 1 pickled umeboshi plum (or paste)
- Fill a large (around 10 qt) soup pot (almost half way up) with fresh cold, filtered water almost 3/4 of the way up. Set your flame on high until the water comes to a rolling boil.
- Add onions, carrots, butternut squash, cabbage and sea salt. Lower heat to medium. Allow to cook for about 30-40 minutes. Vegetables should be fork tender. Remove pot from heat.
- Ladle a bowl of fresh soup for yourself. This is where you can get creative. Try adding cut up wakame and pickled umeboshi plum. A drop of a savory ESSENTIAL OIL (such as clary sage, oregano, basil, etc.) can be added. We use and recommend DoTerra oils as they can be used for consumption (look for Supplement Facts on the label, which means it’s safe in recipes). Even turmeric or organic miso paste is a very nice way to elevate this simple recipe.
- Now that the rest of your soup has cooled off, strain out the vegetables.
- Use a big glass measuring cup, like THIS ONE to help pour broth into individual glass bottles and refrigerate for later. You can drink these warm or at room temperature (See below for tips on how to warm it or KEEP it warm) Drinking them cold is NOT recommended.
- Reserve vegetables for later use at lunch, dinner, in soup or… Heck, even a frittata! Consume within 4 days. Broth will be good for about 5 days. You can also use it in your cooking however your genius stomach/brain sees fit.
- Store in the fridge.
Health benefits of Umeboshi Plum:
Where to buy kombu / wakame:
You can buy the Optional items at most Health food stores like Whole Foods or local outlets like Mothers (Southern California). If your local health food store doesn’t carry it, you can opt for online outlets such as our trusted, Thrive Market to have them shipped STRAIGHT to your door at a MAJOR discount. CLICK HERE or the image below to be routed to Thrive Market with our Warrior Discount 🙂
How to SIP
With your tongue.
Ok, seriously… this is a VERY hydrating and nourishing broth that feels like a pillow for your gut– it’s soothing. Ideally, you drink 16 oz per day, which is the size of a GT Kombucha glass bottle, so you can store daily servings in those like Maya’s pictured below. Drink between meals or you can sip throughout the day, there’s no right or wrong here, just enjoy it and feel the lightness that you become!
How to Keep it Warm
We like HydroFlasks to keep your broth warm for as long as possible.
- The Food Flask is like a mini-fridge that you can actually carry, small enough to easily throw into a backpack, book bag, or purse
- The newly designed Food Flask is just the right size for snacks and in-between meal temptations
- The Food Flask will keep contents hot or cold up to 3 hours. Food Flasks are not microwave safe
- BPA-Free, 18/8 Stainless Steel
- Double wall vacuum insulated technology will keep hot foods steaming hot and cold foods chilled and fresh
If you like to drink your
broth warm, heat it up in a pot for a few minutes (at medium heat) so you don’t destroy the nutrients. Then transfer to your HydroFlask and BAM you have warm broth for a full day. COOL…I mean HOT. 😉
This broth is also awesome to drink at room temperature so you can transfer your broth to glass bottles like this or use in a HydroFlask.
DON’T FORGET TO SHARE
Tag me @DianeKazer and @KazerWellness, as well as @PhinomCuisine.
This is how you enter to WIN.
This Challenge’s PRIZE is a 45 minute session with Maya, our Culinary Expert, where you get to ask questions about all things food and how to make food taste good and convenient, like:
- How to Meal Prep like a champ
- How to make food taste as good as it is healthy
- How to quench the taste buds of every tongue in your family
- How to work with food sensitivities and dietary specific needs productively
- How to reduce toxins in your kitchen tools and to go items
- Fun healthy snacks on the go
- Where to shop to save time
- AND SO MUCH MORE!
This Challenge’s Hashtags are:
Have fun with other hashtags like:
LET’S DO THIS!
WINNERS ANNOUNCED TUESDAY, DECEMBER 20TH
If you’re not already, be sure to join us in our Free Facebook Women’s Empowerment Group, THE WARRIOR CLEANSE. See you in there.
OFFICIAL ANNOUNCEMENT…MEET MAYA, our Culinary Expert Unicorn Warrior
First, let’s both WELCOME and THANK Maya, for creating such an healthy SOUPer recipe, infused with hormone hotness and gut goodness. Second, check out her story. I brought her on for our group, because a) she’s passionate, adorable, creative, genuine and giving and b) her story is no different than ours.
Hailing from the outer rims of the purple unicorn galaxy, Maya has made it her mission to empower and excite women through healthy, delicious food. Growing up with 3 brothers, she tried to act tough through her tormented teenage cramps and moodiness. Although she maintained strong naturopathic values, Maya felt pressured to get on Ortho Tri Cyclen once she became sexually active. Her soul sat on the sidelines as she watched her ego battle her insecurities in a perpetual struggle that only left her feeling exhausted and defeated. After trying several different types of Birth Control Pills and seeing the affect they had on her libido, she became curious about her fellow peers’ experiences. Maya was struck by how difficult it was for her goddess clan to talk about their hormonally charged issues.
Since then, she has seen the power of sisterhood transform meek, suffering girls into real, powerful women. As we once came together around the hearth, we now come together in this group to share our experiences and recipes. Today, Maya has an amazing five year old daughter named Novella who enjoys being in the kitchen just as much as her mother does. Maya’s fun, sensual approach to eating will take you on a culinary journey that is sure to reignite your enthusiasm for cooking. You can love on your hormones while loving on your tastebuds so that your body will heal by harnessing the ingredients that create scrumptious magical medicine for your beautiful, sacred vessel.